[Samba] Access denied

ML Samba ml.samba at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 17:27:16 GMT 2006

I'm trying to upgrade from Samba 3.0.14a to 3.0.23b.  Using the exact
same config file that I did in the older version, and using the exact
same share directory and file permissions as I did with the old
version, a share that I used to be able to access now returns:

     tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

When I try to connect to my home directory that's shared on the fly, I
can get in just fine.  I'm STUCK.  How do I figure out what's wrong?
Oh, and yes, I'm part of the STC-InfoTech group , so that's not the
problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

# uname -a
FreeBSD hr-stc-file3.smartrafficenter.net 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD
6.1-STABLE #0: Fri Aug 18 20:02:55 EDT 2006
toor at hr-stc-file3.smartrafficenter.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

# cat /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

   workgroup = VIRGINIADOT
   server string = STC Data Server
   security = ads
   load printers = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 128
   password server = VDOTHR01.VIRGINIADOT.ORG
   encrypt passwords = yes
   realm = VIRGINIADOT.ORG
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   allow trusted domains = no
   idmap backend = rid:VIRGINIADOT=2000-60000
   idmap uid = 2000-60000
   idmap gid = 2000-60000
   template shell = /usr/local/bin/bash
   template homedir = /usr/home/%U
   winbind use default domain = yes
   winbind enum users = no
   winbind enum groups = no
   winbind nested groups = yes
   local master = no
   preferred master = no
   domain logons = no
   wins server = 10.15.48.3
   dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[InfoTech]
   comment = Network Software Repository
   path = /mnt/shares/Software
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   valid users = @STC-InfoTech
   force group = STC-InfoTech
   force create mode = 00660
   force directory mode = 00770
   create mask = 00660
   directory mask = 00770

[FMSII]
   comment = Hidden FMS Share
   path = "/mnt/shares/Software/VDOT Financial and Inventory"
   browseable = no
   writable = no
   valid users = @STC-InfoTech