[Samba] Re: Samba instead of SBS2k+3

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 20:20:59 GMT 2006

"Przemyslaw Smiejek" <smiejek at poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
news:ec4kgm$817$1 at sea.gmane.org...
> Hi,
>
> I'm a teacher and I have got 20 computers with Windows XP and server
Windows
> SBS 2003 with Active Directory. I use AD to set policy tu WinXP and to
> authorize users.
>
> Is it possible to set up Samba to this instead AD?
> Can someone help me in this?
>
> --
>  Przemyslaw Adam Smiejek
>
> --

I share your concerns.  GPO's are useful.  Some work has been done in this
area but we still have work to do.

Have a look at this document.  You should implement this in a test
environment first.  Only try it in a production environment when you have
gotten it to work.

I am about to start testing stuff like this so please post your findings to
the list.  I do not know yet how well this works.

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/15478.html

Basically, the author uses NT 4.0's System Policy Editor.  SPE allows you to
create custom policies.  He has included some sample policies that are
similar to those available with GPO.

These documents provide an overview of his approach

http://www.pcc-services.com/articles/implement_sys_policies.html

http://www.pcc-services.com/articles/create_custom_spe_templates.html