[Samba] symlinks on mounted smbfs [signed]

Axel Schmalowsky [c] schmalowsky at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 17:24:43 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've a samba server running samba-3.0.22 and a samba client running
samba-2.2.3.
The samba server houses the home directories of my users, registered on
a W2k PDC.
The home directories are mounted on the samba client and all members of
the group GROUP have rwx-permissions to it.

So my problem is that a group member cannot create symlinks on this
mounted file system. Is there a way to get it allowed?
Since the samba client is running a 2.4-kernel and suse-7.2, I even
cannot operate with posix acls.

To get around this problem, I thought of running nis and mounting the
home dirs via nfs. But I don't know how to map the uid/gid to the one
samba/winbind provides.
My idea is to have only one machine with the homes of my users. There
will be about 10 samba client which should mount from the server.

Best regards,

Axel

--
--------------------- [ SECURITY NOTICE ] ---------------------
To: samba at lists.samba.org.
For your security, schmalowsky at gmail.com
digitally signed this message on 19 August 2006 at 17:24:52 UTC.
Verify this digital signature at http://www.ciphire.com/verify.
---------------- [ CIPHIRE DIGITAL SIGNATURE ] ----------------
Q2lwaGlyZSBTaWcuAjhzYW1iYUBsaXN0cy5zYW1iYS5vcmcAc2NobWFsb3dza3lA
Z21haWwuY29tAGVtYWlsIGJvZHkApAIAAHwAfAAAAAEAAABkSedEpAIAAPsCAAIA
AgACACAJqfnaXn54PGP01SLSiQ/CTshz09cqX5Jg1ZwySutYFgEA0qTuVDSa6S1Q
z94KFxpHpyix4DfNpYPjLHICJPpRpkiFHOPIiiaATYn2eHhs17FlsaBb6en+40+u
sWBh2AALwgdntGObU2lnRW5k