[Samba] Samba & ACLs?

Chuck Kollars ckollars9 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 19 02:46:45 GMT 2006

How exactly do Samba 3.x and ACLs interrelate? With
the mount parameter I've turned on ACLs on the whole
filesystem that Samba has various pointers into
(including all the home directories and the netlogon).

I started out naively assuming that the *nix
uidNumber/gidNumber Samba mapped the end user to would
behave exactly the same whether they were a Samba user
or were logged on locally. But my experience is a file
created through Samba and a file created locally by
`touch` do _not_ necessarily have the exact same
permissions/ACLs. Most likely there's some pattern to
what permissions/ACLs are actually created by Samba;
but I haven't succeeded in figuring it out.

What's the recipe for figuring out exactly what
permissions/ACLs a file created through Samba will
actually be given?

thanks!