[SOLVED]Re: [Samba] Problems printing lanscape on SAMBA advertized printers

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Wed Aug 16 18:40:36 GMT 2006

The solution was derived by accident.  Fort historical/legacy reasons,
the PC drivers installed were all PCL.  Apparently at one time Windows
machines handled PostScript very badly and even a simple job would take
an absurdly long time to print.  While I was using an earlier version of
Samba (2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix) and lprng, this all worked fine.  The
problem came about when I replaced that older server with a newer one
running version 3.0.14a-2 with CUPS.  I say the problem was resolved by
accident because I unintentionally installed a PostScript driver for the
5Ms.  It worked perfectly, and the legacy slowness did not occur.  So,
I've started replacing all the various drivers with the PostScript version.

In my case, the issue is now academic, but are there problems with
Samba-3 and PCL print drivers?

Thanks,
Rob

--