[Samba] "Rejecting auth request from client" error after power outage

Mark mrote at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 11:07:07 GMT 2006

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 10:06:49PM -0500, Mark wrote:
>
>>  _net_auth2: creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from
>> client FLUENT02 machine account FLUENT02$
>>

> That looks like a problem with machine account verification.
> Can you try rebooting a client and seeing it it gets it back
> in sync ?
>

>> Fedora Core 4
>> Samba 3.0.23b using tdbsam
>>

> What backend filesystem are you using the the tdbsam files ?
>
> Jeremy.

How many of the  files, for example, in /var/lib/samba are critical to
operation? I assume most but I figure that files like wins.dat and
wins.tdb aren't maybe that important and get regenerated if necessary.
Just thinking that maybe there was something cached from before the
crash that might have caused the problem. But I did reboot several
times, restarted services and  I overwrote everything in both /etc/samba
and /var/lib/samba from backup so I figured it would have put everything
back the way it was the previous day. And I didn't mention it earlier
but none of the XP clients crashed as they were off at the time, just to
rule out corruption on the Windows clients. Although they've been known
to get corrupted just sitting there.