[Samba] Problems syncing smbpasswd/passwd

Bernd Pörner bernd.poerner at gmx.net
Tue Aug 15 07:41:52 GMT 2006

Dear all!

Since several days I'm trying to get Samba's unix password sync to work
for me, but I still have problems. I'm using the Samba 3.0.22 binaries
that come with Ubuntu 6.06 and this is the [global] section of my smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = TEST
domain logons = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
syslog = 100
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /var/lib/nobody '%u'
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n

When I'm logged on to my WinXP workstation and try to change my SMB
password, Windows hangs, doesn't respond anymore. Im my log.smbd I get
the following message:

[2006/07/24 13:03:55, 0] lib/debug.c:reopen_logs(597)
Unable to open new log file /var/log/samba/log.smbd: Permission denied

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Cheers
Bernd