[Samba] Replacing Windows account with local account.

Stephen Carville effcee at heronforge.net
Mon Aug 14 03:03:14 GMT 2006

OK, I'm stumped.

I have a Samba server (v3.0.20a) with security=DOMAIN and using winbind
to authenticate non-local users against a W2K domain controller. This
setup happily serves out home directories and about six other shares.

I need to add a local UNIX account for a formerly Windows only user.
When I try useradd I get: user <username> exists.  This makes sense
becasue of winbind.  What I cannot figure out is how 'erase' him so I
can create a local user account.  I've read thru the man ages but I
can't see how to do this.