[Samba] LDAP+Samba only posixaccount possible?

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Fri Aug 11 18:34:45 GMT 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Juha-Matti Ung wrote:
> Hi!Is it possible to get the samba authenticate a user and
> map to his homedirectory only using posixaccount or are there
> some attributes that windows absolutely require like in the
> samba-objectclasses?

I'm 99% certain this isn't possible.  Windows uses a different
password hashing scheme from what Unix/Linux systems use, so
the user's password must be stored in both forms.  The only
exception might be if you want to make your Windows machines
send plaintext passwords, but I'm not even sure if that's
supported on newer versions of Windows.

   - Logan