[Samba] RE: Help: smbd & nmbd normal states

LouArnold LouArnoldOttawa at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 10 21:40:28 GMT 2006

Have you checked the output of testparm? Run it and see if it doesn't
like some configuration settings. I had very similar results when I had
some misspelled configuration settings.

And if that doesn't work, remove any and all log files, then add
loglevel = 10 to your smb.conf, then start the server, wait a bit, then
post the log files so we can help you debug the problem.
</qote>
I tried testparm. It says the conf file is OK. I am following a diagnostic
procedure at a URL that I can't recall at this time, but which I will find.
In that procedure, things stopped at ">smbclient -L <servername>". Th
response was connection refused which indicates that the Samba server isn't
running.
I tried starting it via the Admin>Services section of the Gnome admin tool.
Starting smb causes the GUI to hang in that page - ie it never completes.
The command /sbin/service smb start cause the message [FAIL] for smbd, but
not for nmbd.
Also ">ps -ea|grep smbd" gives nothing.

I will get rid of the log file, and edit the samb.conf file for loglevel=10.
See you then.