[Samba] Compiling and Configuring Samba for Mandrival
drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu Aug 10 05:33:49 GMT 2006
Since nobody is building binaries for mandriva, I thought I would share
a quick cheat sheet for those who want to compile from source to update 10.2
from 3.20 to 3.23. Here goes:
1. Download samba-3.0.23b.tar.gz to your local machine (a given...)
2. Unzip it: tar xzvf samba-3.0.23b.tar.gz
3. Change to the source directory: cd samba-3.0.23b/source/
4. Make sure you are root: su root (enter root password)
5. run: ./autogen.sh
6. Now you need to configure the makefile. This is simple, the only pain
in the butt is making sure you have the right configure parameters for
Mandriva to keep the various pieces of samba from being scattered all over
your disto. (i.e. smb.conf in /usr/lib ???)
./configure --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share --mandir=/usr/share --with-co
and the pieces will get placed in the right places.
7. run: make
8. run: make install
(this completes the install)
9. now restart samba: /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart
10. You should be up and running with the new samba release! If samba fails
to start and you are in a panic, simply issue:
and your old version of samba will be restored! (it really works)
That's it, hope it helps some other poor Mandrival user. If I missed a
step, it is only because it is late.....
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.10.8/415 - Release Date: 8/9/06
More information about the samba