[Samba] Re: Lost All Win95 connections to Samba

Douglas D Germann Sr 76066.515 at CompuServe.com
Mon Aug 7 00:51:31 GMT 2006

Miguel Da Silva <cibonato <at> fcien.edu.uy> writes:

> > WINS is the Windows Internet Name Service - it is similar to DNS but
> > different enough to cause problems. Samba handles WINS differently, so
> > searching for WINS won't work. And I don't have anything old enough to
> > test from here. However, you could look at winbind or nsswitch
> > configuration. Possibly it's just a matter of starting winbind...
> >

> I think you can use the lmhosts file (lmhost, lsmhosts or somethink like that,
I don't remember right now).
> This file is similar to /etc/hosts; each file containing an "netbios name ->
IP" relation. If you do not use
> DHCP it could help you.

Nanni, Gary, Miguel--

Some progress to report: I replaced the bad HDD in the old server (its OS disk
is still working), and booted it up. It allowed all Win95 connections, and all
other connections, too. With that, I copied all files from old server to older
server, and we are back in business. The older server is much faster, too.

So, it looks like the network switch is OK, and samba is working OK, generally.

What it does is gives me some time to trouble shoot the new server and see
what I am doing wrong. Someone here, either in this thread or another, suggested
I jump over to swat and try to set up my samba install that way. I plan to do
that and report back to the list.

Thanks for your help!

:- Doug.