[Samba] converting Linux users & paswords to Samba

Miguel Da Silva cibonato at fcien.edu.uy
Mon Aug 7 00:55:32 GMT 2006

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 09:12:12 +0900
FTuzi <ftuzi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings all,
> I have a bit of a problem whose answer I cannot seem to find anywhere.
>
> I have a Fedora 5  system with about 300 users and 2 printers.  Samba is
> running on the sole server.  There are also about 2 dozen Windows XP
> computers in use, but there is no domain and no Active Directory.  All
> the computers are standalone.  Users desire to use the Samba printers
> and access their home directories in the Linux system.
>
> I have setup and have Samba running fine.  Using Webmin, I converted all
> Linux users to Samba users.  BUT the passwords don't convert.  Since
> there is no Windows AD or Domain controllers, I cannot do authentication
> lookups from some other system since they do not exist.
>
> I suppose I could make the Linux Samba the Domain Controller, but since
> the windows users currently do not log in, I wanted to avoid the extra
> work of setting up those systems.
>
> My quesiton is - how can I convert both the Linux users and their
> passwords into one on the Samba Password backends?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Frank
> --

I've seen some topics about this issue in another Linux lists and it seems that if you DO NOT use shadow passwords in Linux you can a command (or a script, I don't know very well) called mksmbpasswd.

A pipe of cat and this "command" could solve the problem (if DO NOT use shadow passwords).

I've never tryed that, so I could not warrantise it works, but maybe it could be a starting point.

If it do not work you'll indeed have to make all the users type the passwords.

Good luck.

--
Miguel Da Silva.
Servicio de Informatica.