[Samba] converting Linux users & paswords to Samba

FTuzi ftuzi at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 00:12:12 GMT 2006

Greetings all,
I have a bit of a problem whose answer I cannot seem to find anywhere.

I have a Fedora 5  system with about 300 users and 2 printers.  Samba is
running on the sole server.  There are also about 2 dozen Windows XP
computers in use, but there is no domain and no Active Directory.  All
the computers are standalone.  Users desire to use the Samba printers
and access their home directories in the Linux system.

I have setup and have Samba running fine.  Using Webmin, I converted all
Linux users to Samba users.  BUT the passwords don't convert.  Since
there is no Windows AD or Domain controllers, I cannot do authentication
lookups from some other system since they do not exist.

I suppose I could make the Linux Samba the Domain Controller, but since
the windows users currently do not log in, I wanted to avoid the extra
work of setting up those systems.

My quesiton is - how can I convert both the Linux users and their
passwords into one on the Samba Password backends?

Thank you.

Frank