[Samba] Re: Unable to set ACLs using Windows Security Dialog Box

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 12:35:35 GMT 2006

"Linefeed Feed" <linux_giant at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:BAY119-F11153E59B0D89B84AAF26783520 at phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I configured Samba to act as a file server on RHEL4, Samba 3.0.10.
> Everything worked as I expected except owning issue.
> If an NT user created a folder on the share, it was getting its owner and
> changing
> "Owner Group" from "root" to "Domain Users".
> I wanted to keep "Owner" and "Owning Group" through newly created folders
as
> well as subfolders.
> So I compiled Samba 3.0.20 ,because of its "inherit owner" option that
> supported since this version.
> But after this upgrade, I could not set any acl on the Samba Server from
> Windows explorer and
> I get "Unable to save permission changes on Folder_Name. Access is denied"
> message.
>
> Another issue is that although I have added  some "named users" and "named
> groups" as  Access ACL and "Default ACL" using setfacl command on the
Samba
> Server, only 3 access ACLs (owner,owner group,other)  are shown in Windows
> Security dialog box for the folder, but others are not.
>

> Any idea or clue?
>
> Prompt response appreciated..Thanks,

Perhaps this will help.  It is an article written by John  Terpstra

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1080966,00.html

I find it easier to set ownership via the Linux commands on the server.  I
think there is a create mask command that may help you. You should be able
to set it in the smb.conf file.