[Samba] Mapping machine name or IP to Linux user-name?

Andrew Sherlock-CF andrew.sherlock at bbc.co.uk
Tue Aug 1 15:54:08 GMT 2006

Hi all,
Sorry that my first post to this list is a question - especially one
that is a real long shot.

Where I work we have taken delivery of a system, including some Linux
boxes with a custom distro that have to talk to our Windows Active
Directory network.

I've set up Samba, and everything is working as it should be. Users can
access the shares they need to, and are authenticated via AD -
brilliant!

There is just one problem - the system includes some software that runs
via IIS, using a local machine account on a windows box (i.e.
THISPC\accountname as opposed to THISDOMAIN.COM\accountname). Naturally,
this will not authenticate via AD and logs into the Linux box as the
guest user. However - I did notice that the machine name and ip show up,
in the log.smbd file.

I was wondering if there was any way of manually mapping a 'machine
name' or IP to a Linux user. There are only a few of these boxes, so it
wouldn't be too much of a pain.

I realise that this is not a very secure model - but the only other
alternative is to allow the guest account blanket access - which is even
less secure!

I realise this is a very long shot - but if it can be done I'd love to
have some guidance.
If anybody can think of any sneaky work-arounds I'd be grateful too  ;)

Many thanks

Andy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.