[Samba] smbfs mounts become unusable after Windows reboot

Shahar Weiss sweiss4 at gmx.net
Sat Apr 29 08:21:38 GMT 2006

Hello.
I'm using samba 3.0.22A and Linux 2.6.15.
I mount my shared Windows drives through /etc/fstab. The corresponding lines
are:
//raviv1/c  /mnt/raviv1/c  smbfs
uid=0,gid=0,username=x,password=x,iocharset=utf8,codepage=cp862  0  0
//raviv1/f  /mnt/raviv1/f  smbfs
uid=0,gid=0,username=x,password=x,iocharset=utf8,codepage=cp862  0  0

This works just fine until I have to reboot the Windows machine (Windows 2000
Pro SP4)
After a reboot the mount-points become unusable and cause some long freezes
when trying to access them. I cannot even umount them properly, nor with
the -f flag, so in order to fix this I often need to reboot my Linux box
(because I'm not sure exactly what else to do).

Is it possible to prevent this behavior somehow? To make the system remount
those shares, or re-look for them?

In case that's impossible, how can I reattach those mount points without a
reboot?

Thanks a lot,
Shahar.