[Samba] winbind nss info = sfu is not so much working

Jonathan C. Detert detertj at msoe.edu
Thu Apr 27 16:56:30 GMT 2006

* Jonathan C. Detert <detertj at msoe.edu> [060427 11:39]:
> with samba 3.0.22, I'm trying to integrate a linux box with Microsoft AD
> by using winbind for authentication as well as for the source of nss info.
>
> When winbind is configured to use its own local id maps, everything
> works fine.
>
> But when i configure winbind to use 'ad' as the source of nss info,
> authentication fails, 'getent' commands return no results, and
> 'wbinfo -r someusername' returns nothing (though wbinfo -u and -g work
> correctly).

a couple notes to add:

a) the AD box i'm using is running Win2k3 with SFU schema extensions applied.

b) 'wbinfo -n detertj' returns the correct sid, regardless of whether
    idmap backend is set to ad or not.

   'wbinfo -S detertjsid' fails to convert the sid to a uid when idmap
   backend is set to ad, but succeeds when idmap backend is NOT set.

c) the 'detertj' account does have the appropriate msad attributes, as
   can be seen here:
   ldapsearch -x -LLL -s sub -H ldap://xxxxxx.msoe.edu -D 'cn=ldap,ou=ccsd,ou=people,dc=msoe,dc=edu' -w 'xxxxxxxx' -b'ou=people,dc=msoe,dc=edu' "samaccountname=detertj" msSFU30UidNumber msSFU30GidNumber msSFU30HomeDirectory msSFU30LoginShell
   dn: CN=detertj,OU=Administration,OU=People,DC=msoe,DC=edu
   msSFU30UidNumber: 20225
   msSFU30GidNumber: 21795
   msSFU30LoginShell: /bin/bash
   msSFU30HomeDirectory: /home/staff/detertj