[Samba] Roaming profiles ... again!

rdiascampos rdiascampos at uol.com.br
Wed Apr 26 13:01:32 GMT 2006

Hi.

This seems to be a simple question: how can I configure a Samba server - and possibly some Windows clients of variable flavor (98, 2000, XP) - to have "roaming profiles by machines"?

In smb.conf I had:

		logon path = \\%L\profiles\%m

and

	[profiles]
		path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
		read only = no
		create mask = 0600
		directory mask = 0700

As I had permissions problems (NTUSER.DAT got the Linux username of the last login as owner) I changed it to:

	[profiles]
		path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
		read only = no
		create mask = 0600
		directory mask = 0700
		force user = arquivador

where arquivador is some sort of Linux dummy user.

Inicially, I supposed I succeded but it was a "false feeling" because no user could change the profile.

It seems to be recording the new profile since I can insert new icons on the desktop but I cannot change their position on the screen and cannot change the task bar at all.

Well, that is it.

Any help will be wellcome.

Ricardo