[Samba] How to limit master browser to a specific network

Laker Netman laker_netman at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 22:36:04 GMT 2006

Hi.  I am running Samba 3.0.22-1 on a Fedora Core 4
system.  While troubleshooting an unrelated issue I
noticed the following while "tailing" the message log:
Apr 24 16:57:37 valiant nmbd[1864]: [2006/04/24
16:57:37, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
Apr 24 16:57:37 valiant nmbd[1864]:   *****
Apr 24 16:57:37 valiant nmbd[1864]:
Apr 24 16:57:37 valiant nmbd[1864]:   Samba name
server VALIANT is now a local master browser for
workgroup ELECTROVERT-USA on subnet 192.168.182.1
Apr 24 16:57:37 valiant nmbd[1864]:
Apr 24 16:57:37 valiant nmbd[1864]:   *****

This is a multihomed system with two physical NICs and
iptables running between them. The .182.1 network is
on the "outside" where I run chillispot (a captive
portal tool for management of our wireless hotspots).
I really don't know if it is a problem, as only
certain traffic is permitted (http and smtp, but no
NetBIOS), so should I be concerned by the above?
Either way, if someone could point me to the correct
documentation to research further on configuration,
etc, I'd appreciate it, or if it is a simple
configuration change to post it in reply.

TIA,
Laker