[Samba] performance regression between 30.14a and 3.0.20

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Apr 24 20:47:45 GMT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:56:29AM -0400, Greg Dickie wrote:

> Hey Jeremy,
>
> Sorry, I'm at NAB in vegas and a little burned myself.... so we graph
> output from /proc/diskstats when we test. If I run a test with 3.0.21c
> the wio (field 7) and wblk (field 9) stats both show activity. This does
> not happen with 3.0.14a. eg: it appears that there is double the amount
> of write traffic.
>
> Does that make any more sense?

Not really :-). I don't know enough about xfs to be dangerous :-).
Is it possible we're doing larger bulk writes with 3.0.2x that
we weren't doing with 3.0.14a which might trigger this ? In which
case it'd be an xfs issue not a Samba one. Can you test with ext3
jfs or reiser to see if they show different performance characteristics ?

Jeremy