[Samba] Problem with Samba PDC, W2k SP4 + rollup clients, user accounts

Asier abaranguan at elpagestion.com
Fri Apr 21 08:35:02 GMT 2006

Asier dijo:

> To make one test, I removed my computer (w2k) from the domain, and now I
> can't re-join it: an error messagebox shows the famous DNS error with
> references to http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkID=5171.

[ ... ]

> I suspect the error is produced by some microsoft update, but I'm not
> sure.

I respond to myself... a freshly installed XP SP2 Machine cannot join the
domain (ELPABI) tellin me there´s an DNS error while trying to get
resources registry (or something like that, it's in spanish)

I post the text partially here:

| El error fue: "El nombre DNS no existe."
| (código de error 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
| La solicitud era para el registro SRV para _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ELPABI

(DNS name not exist, error code 0x00...)

| Las siguientes son causas comunes de este error:
| -El registro SRV de DNS no está registrado en el DNS.

(common causes for this error, DNS register of SRV not registered in DNS)

Now my suspects are going towards DNS resolution. In our LAN we have
dnsmasq installed in the samba server acting as DHCP server and DNS cache.
Could this be the problem? I cannot ping from client boxes to the PDC with
netbios names, but vice-versa works:

(PDC -> client)
| root at kasparov ~ # ping desarrollo2
| PING desarrollo2 (192.168.1.3) 56(84) bytes of data.
| 64 bytes from Desarrollo2 (192.168.1.3): icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.194 ms

(client -> PDC)
| C:\>ping kasparov
| La solicitud de ping no pudo encontrar el host kasparov. Compruebe el
| nombre y vuelva a intentarlo.

But if I use the IP works well. Other thing that annoy me is that
nmblookup doesn't recognize the PDC:

| root at kasparov ~ # nmblookup desarrollo2
| querying desarrollo2 on 192.168.1.255
| 192.168.1.3 desarrollo2<00>
| root at kasparov ~ # nmblookup kasparov
| querying kasparov on 192.168.1.255