[Samba] Shared Samba locking system

Sh4d03 mlists at shadow-security.net
Thu Apr 20 10:43:15 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether it would be feasible to share the Samba lock file
between two Samba servers. My implementation will be similar to this:

I have two sites each with its own OpenBSD 3.8 Samba Server connected
via OpenVPN over a "not-so-good" link. Ultimately, the link isn't too
bad however the users are often calling on large file and crashing
Mircrosoft Programs as they're not designed to wait that long. My plan
is to run rsync between the two servers (in both directions) to
synchronise the data. This will probably be done on a 5 minute basis, or
maybe 15. My issue from here is that when file "foo" is opened on Server
A, there will be no lock in place on Server B to prevent simultaneous
editing. Obviously, the effect of this is that I have two versions of
the same file and rsync will simply blow one away with the "newer" one,
despite the "older" one possibly having new data.

My intention was to share the Samba lock file "live" across the VPN
using maybe NFS or some other means. I've been reading up on the locking
system of Samba in an attempt to ascertain the ability to do this but
would like to open it to you guys for advice.

Alternatively, if there is another option that people can suggest for
doing what I need I'm open for suggestions.

Kind regards and thank you in advance,

Sh4d03