[Samba] smbclient -M --> ERRmsgoff?

Wilkinson Charlie E Charlie.E.Wilkinson at irs.gov
Fri Apr 14 18:59:20 GMT 2006

Ok, well Jeremy...  Apologies are in order.  Turns out I screwed up.
I'm sorry.  I got my args mixed up and I was using -I specifying my own
server hostname.  So it seems I was talking to myself.  DOH!!  It was
your request for an ethereal trace that resulted in that discovery.
"Why aren't there any packets?"

The good news -- If I just use -M and the netbios name, I can get popups
on my XP workstation.  However, if I use -M and an IP address, I get
"session request failed."

Problem is, I don't have the netbios name for all the clients I'm trying
to connect to.

Backing up a little....  I'm trying to get an smb-wall script to work.
Again.  I had written one myself years ago that I'm trying to get
working again, and there's also the smb-wall.pl script that ships with
Samba.  They both use smbstatus/smbclient and function about the same.
Or rather, they break about the same.  Apparently an older form of
smbstatus listed both the netbios name and IP address of connected
clients.  Now I instead have a single column with a mix of netbios names
and IP addresses.  Neither my script nor apparently the Samba
smb-wall.pl script have been updated to deal with this.  It appears I
really need the netbios name to feed to smbclient, and possibly both the
netbios name and IP address for non-local clients, right?

So now I'm frantically RTFMing on how I might be able to do WINS
lookups, get the desired format from smbstatus, or otherwise get the
netbios name, or convince smbclient it doesn't need the name.  Any
further pointers that might help me along would be greatly appreciated.

-cw-