[Samba] Browsing problem

Niki Hammler smb94532543 at stiftingtal.net
Tue Apr 11 13:51:17 GMT 2006

Craig White schrieb:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 03:12 +0200, Niki Hammler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a browsing problem, I'm searching the error for a long time now
>> so I think betimes it's a bug ;-)
>>
>> For debugging purposes, I've left away everything in the network that's
>> not necessary. There's now only one XP-Prof workstation (domain member)
>> and one samba server (3.0.22, acting as PDC) anymore.
>>
>> Bind9 is the local DNS server; Forward and PTR entries are working. The
>> DNS domain is the same as the NT.
>>
>> The problem is: Everything works (domain logons, searching the computer
>> with the windows search feature, accessing with \\server, ...) EXCEPT
>> the network neighbourhood. It is empty and there is no PC in it. There
>> is no error and there is no delay while searching.
>>
>> Here is a copy of my smb.conf:
>>
>> [global]
>>          netbios name = server
>>          workgroup = INTRA.COMPANY.NET
>>          server string = server
>>          passdb backend = tdbsam
>>
>>          os level = 128
>>          preferred master = yes
>>          domain master = yes
>>          local master = yes
>>
>>          security = user
>>          encrypt passwords = true
>>          domain logons = yes
>>          logon path = \\%L\profile
>>          logon drive = U:
>>          logon home = \\%N\%U
>>          logon script = logon.cmd
>>
>>          map to guest = never
>>          ;guest account = nobody
>>          ;map to guest = Bad User
>>          ;username map = /etc/samba/users.map
>>          unix password sync = yes
>>          passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>>          passwd chat = Enter*new*UNIX*password: %n\n
>> \nRetype*new*UNIX*password: %n\n \npasswd:*password*updated*successfully*
>>
>>          ;time server = yes
>>          wins support = yes
>>          ;dns proxy = yes
>>          name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host
>>
>>          printing = cups
>>          printcap name = cups
>>          load printers = yes
>>
>>          preserve case = yes
>>          dos charset = CP850
>>          create mask = 600
>>          directory mask = 700
>>          short preserve case = yes
>>          unix charset = ISO8859-1
>>
>>          log level = 3
>>          ; log file = /var/log/samba/smb%m.log
>>          log file = /var/log/samba/SMB.log
>>          max log size = 50000
>>
>> [netlogon]
>> 	(...)
>>
>> As you can see, I've configured samba as WINS-server.
>> Clients configuration is assigned by DHCP with:
>>
>> option netbios-node-type 8;
>> option netbios-name-servers 192.168.200.121;
>>
>> I've tried almost everything I could but I'm unable to find the error.
>> The first strange thing is (on the server itself):
>>
>> $ smbclient -L server -U %
>> Domain=[INTRA.COMPANY.NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.22]
>>
>>          Sharename       Type      Comment
> [...]

I've already tried deleting wins.dat and restarting the server and it
did not help.
I even compiled a fresh vanilla package from samba.org and installed it
to /samba. I started it with the smb.conf as seen above. The one file I
took from the old installation was passdb.tdb. Even that did not work!

Niki

PS: Sorry for the personal mail, I pressed the wrong button.