[Samba] Run away samba, and free() errors

Walter Mautner walter.mautner at reflex.at
Thu Apr 6 05:32:01 GMT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 6. April 2006 00:55 schrieb Terry Hardie:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running samba 3.0.22, and have reproduced this issue in 3.0.14a as
> well. I am trying to access a network share with a large number of long
> directory names (up to around 80 characters), with around 1100 of these
> directories. Some times it works, but most of the time, the windows
> machine (running windows server 2003) never gets the listing. It seems to
> try to reconnect, and samba starts another smbd.
>
> Even though I have "max smbd processes = 100", after a while, I end up
> with 1000's (I'm not exaggerating) of smbd's. Also, in the logs for smbd,
> this is showing up:
>
> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xb7edbc38 ***

Looks like your stat cache hit a limit. With such long names, you should
consider turning name mangling off, or at least the "case sensitive" flag to
"on" (which you also can do via group policy in w2k3). Name and case mangling
or comparing names is the most demanding and probably also unnecessary task
in your situation.