[Samba] net drive mapping not working in login script

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 6 19:34:52 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 12:17 -0700, Mont Rothstein wrote:
> I made a possibly bad assumption that Chris was adding users by some
> mechanism other than on the unix box, and therefore that the user's
> home directories had not been created.
>
> Still, your strong response seems to imply that even in this case
> there is some way to have the unix home directories auto-created.
> I've pored through the samba docs, googled, and asked questions.  The
> three answers I found/got were those that I listed.
>
> If there is in fact a way to do this would you be so kind as to point
> me to the section of the doc that discusses it?  I can't find it.
>
> Thanks,
> -Mont
>

> On 4/6/06, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 09:51 -0700, Mont Rothstein wrote:
>         > Do your user's home directories already exist?  Then need
>         to.  Samba does
>         > not by defult auto-create them.
>         >
>         > If you want to auto-create them options include:
>         > 1) A preexec in the [homes] section
>         ----
>         shouldn't be necessary
>         ----
>         > 2) Create them as part of the add user script
>         ----
>         shouldn't be necessary
>         ----
>         > 3) Use pam_mkhomedir
>         ----
>         shouldn't be necessary
>
>         Samba documentation covers this very clearly. A reference to
>         the
>         documentation would probably be better than the above advice.
>
>         see Samba 3 Official HowTo
>
>         http://www.samba.org/samba/docs
>
>         FWIW - I see neither a [homes] or [profiles] share in your
>         setup and I
>         didn't see mention of the fact that you have 'joined' the
>         Windows
>         computers to the domains.
----
since his [global] configuration included no definition of 'security ='
one has to assume the default of 'security = user' which means that
there should have been a local UNIX account with a home directory
already. Whatever tools you use to create the accounts in the first
place should make the user home directory.

had he listed something like winbindd, security = server|domain|ads then
a mechanism such as you described would probably be useful.

For a reference to documentation, I would suppose for his purposes, this
example in the 'By Example' would be appropriate - see item #10

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/small.html

Craig