[Samba] FreeBSD amd64 w. LDAP: smbd hangs

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Apr 3 15:28:29 GMT 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 04:46:29PM +0200, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've searched through the list and saw this problem was reported several
> month ago, along with gdb traces, but in the end I don't see any
> solution or workaround suggested.
>
> I've recently build a file server on top of FreeBSD amd64 SMP: this is
> also a BDC and is working with an ldapsam_compat backend. The
> (secondary) LDAP server is on the same machine.
>
> Right now I've only moved a few users' data to this box, but I'm already
> stuck due to the fact that some smbd process will hang, hog the CPU and
> hold as locked the document the user was modifiying. The user will have
> to call me, I'll need to kill -9 that process (without -9 it won't die)
> and then he can go on with his job.
>
> I'm really looking for a solution or at least a workaround on this.
> I'm using everything as up to date as to avoid beta software, that is:
> _ FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p4;
> _ openldap-client-2.2.30;
> _ openldap-server-2.2.30;
> _ samba-3.0.21b,1 (this is the latest from the port tree and AFAIK
> 3.0.22 does not address anything related to this).
>
> Any hint?

Can you attach to the process in this state and get gdb backtrace.
If the problem wasn't address with the report several months ago
it didn't give enough information to track the problem down. Maybe
you can do better ! :-). Log it as a bug at bugzilla please.

If it's a logic error in Samba we *will* fix it asap, sometimes
these can be hard to see. Also, sometimes it's an error in the
underlying system, not Samba.

Jeremy.