[Samba] FreeBSD amd64 w. LDAP: smbd hangs

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon Apr 3 14:46:29 GMT 2006

Hello.

I've searched through the list and saw this problem was reported several
month ago, along with gdb traces, but in the end I don't see any
solution or workaround suggested.

I've recently build a file server on top of FreeBSD amd64 SMP: this is
also a BDC and is working with an ldapsam_compat backend. The
(secondary) LDAP server is on the same machine.

Right now I've only moved a few users' data to this box, but I'm already
stuck due to the fact that some smbd process will hang, hog the CPU and
hold as locked the document the user was modifiying. The user will have
to call me, I'll need to kill -9 that process (without -9 it won't die)
and then he can go on with his job.

I'm really looking for a solution or at least a workaround on this.
I'm using everything as up to date as to avoid beta software, that is:
_ FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p4;
_ openldap-client-2.2.30;
_ openldap-server-2.2.30;
_ samba-3.0.21b,1 (this is the latest from the port tree and AFAIK
3.0.22 does not address anything related to this).

Any hint?

  bye & Thanks
	av.