[Samba] 3.0.21c and big wmv or mpg files

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Mon Apr 3 00:51:12 GMT 2006

At 03:15 PM 4/1/2006 +0200, Thomas Bork wrote:
>Tom Peters wrote:
>
>>Tell me, do you get this problem when you drag/n/drop a file into a
>>folder on the samba share? And can you prevent this problem from
>>occurring by the following procedure?
>
>I cannot see the problem here but heared from 2 users of 3.0.21c with this
>problem.
>
>Downloaded a file with 843 MB which reproducable triggered the error by
>one of the users - but not on my system.
>
>We are using the _same_ samba version (built by me) on the same distribution:
>
>http://www.eisfair.org/
>http://www.pack-eis.de/index.php?p=samba
>
>I'm the maintainer of this samba package and therefore interested in to
>correct this.
>
>>Click in the target window on the samba machine (this is on the XP
>>desktop). Press F5 to refresh the view. Wait about a second. Immediately
>>start your copy. When I do this, the errors, previously reported to the
>>desktop and to my server log, don't occur.
>
>The user copies the file with:
>
>- right click to the local file and 'copy'
>- right click in the share and 'insert'

This procedure is the same as drag-and-drop from WinXP point of view. In
English I believe the options are 'copy' and 'paste' rather than 'copy' and
'insert' but it's does the same as drag and drop in this context.

>>I've been told that it's a WinXP only issue, that it attempts to connect
>>on ports 445 and 139 nearly simultaneously, and then proceeds to talk
>>over whichever one answers first. I'm told that Win2k clients won't have
>>this problem, and Win98 clients don't use port 445 so it doesn't arise there.
>
>How did you adjusted your clients? On tab 'WINS'/Netbios properties (all
>translated from german):
>
>TCP/IP properties/Default
>or
>TCP/IP properties/Enable Netbios over TCP/IP

Up to this moment, they had been "TCP/IP properties/Default." I have
changed it to Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

>While copying the wmv test file a have a cpu utilization of 95! percent
>(top) of smbd at the time, samba creates the sparse (?) file in the size
>needed for the test file.

I don't believe this happens in my case. I am not certain. I know that when
it fails, Windows clients see a 0 bytes file with the name of the
destination in the target share. You have to erase or overwrite it when you
try again.

>Maybe this is problematical on smaller systems. Samba is running here on
>an VMWARE on top of XP (the test client) with P4 3,2 GHz:
>
>deveis # cat /proc/cpuinfo
>processor       : 0
>vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
>cpu family      : 15
>model           : 4
>model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
>stepping        : 8
>cpu MHz         : 3193.393
>cache size      : 0 KB
>fdiv_bug        : no
>hlt_bug         : no
>f00f_bug        : no
>coma_bug        : no
>fpu             : yes
>fpu_exception   : yes
>cpuid level     : 5
>wp              : yes
>flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
>cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss pni ds_cpl
>bogomips        : 6370.09
>
>By the user of the test file the sparse file with the correct size will be
>created but is complete empty...

I would need to force a failure of this type and examine the size of the
target file on the Linux side. WinXP says its empty and zero-length.

>der tom

[Philosophy] "I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who
haven't the guts to bite people themselves." --August Strindberg
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)  WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531