[Samba] 3.0.21c and big wmv or mpg files

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Sat Apr 1 13:15:13 GMT 2006

Tom Peters wrote:

> Tell me, do you get this problem when you drag/n/drop a file into a
> folder on the samba share? And can you prevent this problem from
> occurring by the following procedure?

I cannot see the problem here but heared from 2 users of 3.0.21c with
this problem.

Downloaded a file with 843 MB which reproducable triggered the error by
one of the users - but not on my system.

We are using the _same_ samba version (built by me) on the same
distribution:

http://www.eisfair.org/
http://www.pack-eis.de/index.php?p=samba

I'm the maintainer of this samba package and therefore interested in to
correct this.

> Click in the target window on the samba machine (this is on the XP
> desktop). Press F5 to refresh the view. Wait about a second. Immediately
> start your copy. When I do this, the errors, previously reported to the
> desktop and to my server log, don't occur.

The user copies the file with:

- right click to the local file and 'copy'
- right click in the share and 'insert'

> I've been told that it's a WinXP only issue, that it attempts to connect
> on ports 445 and 139 nearly simultaneously, and then proceeds to talk
> over whichever one answers first. I'm told that Win2k clients won't have
> this problem, and Win98 clients don't use port 445 so it doesn't arise
> there.

How did you adjusted your clients? On tab 'WINS'/Netbios properties (all
translated from german):

TCP/IP properties/Default
or
TCP/IP properties/Enable Netbios over TCP/IP
?

While copying the wmv test file a have a cpu utilization of 95! percent
(top) of smbd at the time, samba creates the sparse (?) file in the size
needed for the test file.
Maybe this is problematical on smaller systems. Samba is running here on
an VMWARE on top of XP (the test client) with P4 3,2 GHz:

deveis # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 3193.393
cache size      : 0 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss pni ds_cpl
bogomips        : 6370.09

By the user of the test file the sparse file with the correct size will
be created but is complete empty...

der tom