[samba] multiple domain login failures

Stan Garvin sgarvin at flad.com
Thu Sep 29 15:41:49 GMT 2005

Hello,

I've run into a strange issue with our Windows 2000/XP client's domain
authentication...

After some time, users will have to login multiple times (like six-ten)
before authenticating - and then, they login finally. I've verified that
they are putting in the correct username and password pair. Again, this
only happens after the machine has been in the domain for months - it
doesn't occur right away.

What's strange, is that if I remove the machine account from LDAP and
re-add the machine account when adding the workstation to the domain,
all is fine - the workstation will then authenticate immediately.

Otherwise, our Samba/PDC/BDC/LDAP solution is working great!!

FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE
samba-3.0.4
openldap-server-2.1.30
WINS is on PDC/LDAP server

--
"GNU is free software: everyone is free to copy it and redistribute it, as well as to make changes either large or small. Non-free software keeps users divided and helpless, forbidden to share it and unable to change it. A free operating system is essential for people to be able to use computers in freedom."

Richard Stallman, Harvard 1974

Stan Garvin
UNIX Systems Administrator
Flad & Associates