[Samba] any known issue with printing from MS Access ?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Sep 28 14:07:24 GMT 2005

Ilia Chipitsine wrote:

| |> MS Access is known to have issues with certain drivers
| |> if they have not been initialized on the server properly.

| |
| | so, MS Access wants something from samba which it
| | cannot do at all ?
|
| No. But I think you both need to re-read the documentation
| on printing in the Samba-HOWTO0-Collection to really understand
| what a non-initialized driver is.  If you have read that and
| it still doesn't make sense, then I will try to clarify.
|
|> I re-read and it still doesn't make sence what did I miss.
|> Try to clarify :-)

ok :-)  When a driver is installed on a Windows server,
the OS calls into an entry point in the file specified as the
driver's config dll. When the code is executed it generates
whatever registry data is needed for the driver to operate
correctly and  provides features such as additional paper
trays, etc...  The Config dll also fills in the values
in the DeviceMode for the printer.  Without this data, the
majority of printer drivers will fail to operate.

Since Samba cannot execute Win32 code, you will have to
trick the client into setting the necessary data on the server.
This is commonly referred to as initializing the printer.
To do this, connect to the printer on the Samba server as
a user with administrative rights to the printer and and
change the page orientation.  Applying the change from the
Printer properties window will usually get the client to
set any missing printer data as well.

You can view the printer data on the Samba host using
regedit.exe or 'net rpc registry enumerate'

$ bin/net --server tornado --user=% \
rpc registry enumerate \
'hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\print\printers\q1'

Keyname   = PrinterDriverData
Classname =
Modtime   = Wed, 31 Dec 1969 19:00:00 GMT

Keyname   = DsSpooler
Classname =
Modtime   = Wed, 31 Dec 1969 19:00:00 GMT

Valuename  = Attributes
Type       = REG_DWORD
Data       = 0x48380000

Valuename  = Priority