[Samba] home shares and disabled profiles (NET HELPMSG 3916)

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Wed Sep 28 12:00:32 GMT 2005

José M. Fandiño wrote:

>  I'm following the recipe 26.2.1.4 to disable roaming profiles for
> win9x and XPpro machines, but perhaps I'm missing something because
> it doesn't seem be possible get the home shares mapped with profiles
> disabled.
> windows machines fails with this error:
> net use u: /HOME
> The user's home directory has not been specified.
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3916.

The docs are not correct:

"Affect the following settings and ALL clients will be forced to use a
local profile: logon home = and logon path ="

>         logon path =
>         logon drive = u:
>         logon home =

If you want to disable roaming profiles *but* want to use 'net use ?:
/HOME', then remove 'logon home =' from smb.conf to using defaults for
home dir or set it to anything usefull for your needs.

der tom