[Samba] Login to windows with samba running as domain master doesn't set HOMEPATH environment variable

Carter, Derek derek.carter at pera.com
Tue Sep 27 15:06:18 GMT 2005

I'm running samba as a domain master,
Have implemented roaming profiles (correctly I hope). However, have
discovered that if I use the client Windows 2K machine on the domain
"Local machine" the environment variable %HOMEPATH% is set correctly to
\Documents and Settings\myname however if I then login to my domain
implemented by samba %HOMEPATH% is simply not defined. HOMEDRIVE and the
rest seem OK, it's just HOMEPATH.

Now I have searched the archives for related questions but nothing
really applicable has come up therefore its going to be something wrong
with my configuration (either server or client) but I really am stuck to
what it could be.

Thanks

Derek

Information -

Server:
OS	SuSE Linux 9.1
Samba	Version 3.0.13-1.1-SUSE
Smb.conf -
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = ELMSCLOSE
        map to guest = Bad User
        unix password sync = Yes
        passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *changed*
        passwd chat debug = Yes
        printcap cache time = 750
        printcap name = cups
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d
/var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
        logon drive = Y:
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        admin users = root, derek
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
        cups options = raw
        include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U

[homes]
        path = /home/%U/
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        inherit acls = Yes
        browseable = No

[profiles]
        comment = Network Profiles Service
        path = %H
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        store dos attributes = Yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/tmp
        create mask = 0600
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
        write list = @ntadmin, root
        force group = ntadmin
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
        write list = root

[public]
        comment = Public Shared Directory
        path = /home/public
        read only = No
        inherit acls = Yes

Client:
OS Windows 2000 Pro
Have joined domain ELMSCLOSE without any problems
Have created a user with profiles being copied to LINUX box without
problems
No other changes made