[Samba] Windows special chars in filenames, cannot access files

Raymond Blum raymond at paidtech.com
Sun Sep 25 22:18:06 GMT 2005

Hi
   I am running Samba v3.0.20-2 on Redhat Linux.
to get right to the point:
THE PROBLEM:
   I am using mount with type=smbfs to mount a WIndows XP share.  The
share has filenames with special chars (the Registered symbol (r)) .
This filename appears in Linux directory listings with a "r" in place
of the (r) char.  If I try to access the file, I get a "File not found".
i.e.
   "ls -l" shows filename "XXXr.url"
but if I try "cat XXXr.url" I get the msg "XXXr.url no such file or
directory"

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
I have tried setting the dos charset and unix charset both to UTF-8
with no results, likewise to the DOS default CP850

Anyone know how to address this?  It would be an acceptable solution
to substitute chars in the filename, I just need to be able to access/
copy it.

Thanks
---raymond