[Samba] Samba authenticating, but not against domain

Daniel Baughman dan at pbrnow.com
Wed Sep 21 16:27:16 GMT 2005

Hi,
I'm running samba 3.0.10 on a fedora core 3 box.  I am trying to get the
thing setup as a member server in our NT domain such that I can specify
domain users in the "valid users" directive under each share.

I believe I need to use winbind to do this effectively for a large domain.
Runing getent passwd does list all of the domain users.  I believe I have
the system joined to the domain.  I added the server through the windows NT
server manager, and then ran the NET rpc join command.

I think I am joined to the domain properly, but somewhere my authentication
configuration is screwy.

I can't get people authenticated against a share, even if they are listd as
a valid user under that share in the smb.conf, unless I run smbpasswd -a
<username> and then specify a password.  This defeats the purpose, as I the
password isn't synched with the NT domain.

Any Suggestions?

Regards,
Dan Baughman