[Samba] 2 samba servers on different subnets

Paul Littlefield paul.littlefield at bigfoot.com
Tue Sep 20 21:06:54 GMT 2005

Hi All

Network #1 has been running successfully for a year using Samba as a PDC and
file share with roaming profiles for about a dozen Windows XP clients.

I have just set up Network #2 and would now like to give these clients access
to the file share on Network #1 (via the Tinc VPN)... AND... still keep a
local PDC with roaming profiles.

NETWORK #1
Range: 192.168.0.0/24
Tinc/Samba PDC Server: 192.168.0.200
Workgroup: ABCLTDGROUP

NETWORK #2
Range: 192.168.50.0/24
Tinc/Samba PDC Server: 192.168.50.200
Workgroup: ABCLTDGROUP

Is this possible? Can I keep 2 Samba PDC Servers from clashing across the VPN
part of the network?

I do not want to have large scale roaming profiles from Network #2
transferring across the internet to Samba Server #1 because they are likely
to corrupt.

I am quite happy to change the role and workgroup names of clients/server in
Network #2 so that it does not clash / work best with Network #1.

Thanks for your help

Paully