[Samba] Horrible Linux/Samba vs Windows political battle - can you help?

Gregory A. Cain greg at gregorycain.net
Mon Sep 19 23:49:32 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I am currently the IT Manager for a 30-person architectural firm. About
5 months ago we hired a new employee. He is quite good at what he does.
He is also extremely opinionated, particularly when it comes to computer
software, including server software.

I'm running the office server functions on RedHat, Fedora and Trustix
servers. He has managed to convince my boss that there are serious
problems with these servers and with Linux in general. After having
worked here for over 14 years, I would have hoped my boss would have
more trust in my choices.

In any case, I now find myself in the position of having to defend my
position here. My boss has gone as far as to hire an independent
consultant to evaluate our whole network infrastructure, simply on the
basis of the new employee's statemenets about the worthlessness of
Linux. I do not relish being put in this position, however I'm going to
take a stand.

If there is anyone reading this who works in the field of architecture
or engineering, and with CAD or BIM software, who is using Linux as your
server software, I would sure be appreciative it if you could write a
testimonial for me to help me convince my boss that migrating from Linux
to MS would be a horrible mistake.

Also, if you know of any other resources that might be helpful to me,
I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you.

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thank you.

Greg