[Samba] Horrible Linux/Samba vs Windows political battle - can you help?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Tue Sep 20 06:56:26 GMT 2005

Gregory A. Cain schrieb:
> Greetings,
>
> I am currently the IT Manager for a 30-person architectural firm. About
> 5 months ago we hired a new employee. He is quite good at what he does.
> He is also extremely opinionated, particularly when it comes to computer
> software, including server software.
>
> I'm running the office server functions on RedHat, Fedora and Trustix
> servers. He has managed to convince my boss that there are serious
> problems with these servers and with Linux in general. After having
> worked here for over 14 years, I would have hoped my boss would have
> more trust in my choices.
>
> In any case, I now find myself in the position of having to defend my
> position here. My boss has gone as far as to hire an independent
> consultant to evaluate our whole network infrastructure, simply on the
> basis of the new employee's statemenets about the worthlessness of
> Linux. I do not relish being put in this position, however I'm going to
> take a stand.
>
> If there is anyone reading this who works in the field of architecture
> or engineering, and with CAD or BIM software, who is using Linux as your
> server software, I would sure be appreciative it if you could write a
> testimonial for me to help me convince my boss that migrating from Linux
> to MS would be a horrible mistake.

perhaps it would help us if you told which statements he said about "the
worthlessness of Linux"?
and why he claims Windows would be superior over Linux in your case.

what our company does at the moment is quite reverse - migrating our
customers Windows to Linux, or just setting Linux in new locations, as
it has better value and is easier to manage.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org