[Samba] getent and wbinfo not returning expected results?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Sep 16 21:01:40 GMT 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 14:40, Mike Partyka wrote:

> >> No, i did not see that step in any of the documentation i have used.
> >
> > For months I asked for review and feedback from Samba mailing list
> > users. All
> > feedback that I received was adopted. Samba is user supported
> > software. The
> > more people who provide documentation feedback, the better to
> > documentation
> > becomes.
>
> I was not active in this mailing list at that time but don't mean
> that to be an excuse, i will do better going forward.
>
> > The system accounts will use values of 500-1000, user acconts
> > always above
> > 999. i.e.: starting at 1000.
> >
> > Remove the winbind*tdb files and restart winbindd.
>
> I adjusted this range up much higher (1000000-5000000)

Suggest you consider 500-40000000 so that all RIDs can be accomodated.

> I then deleted these files as John recommended and the restarted
> winbind and smb.
>
> Amazingly, now "getent passwd" returns the local user list with the
> domain users appended to it, W00T!
>
> PS-The community effort that many people put into the lists as far as
> helping other users is always impressive to me and it's really
> something to admire but this afternoon topped all when i got a long
> distance call from John Terpstra, whose book i have sitting on my
> desk at home, and who wrote the Samba documentation that many of us
> use so frequently, the experience I have to say was a little intense.

I hope not too intense! :-)

> 60 seconds into the call John stated rather than asked, "Your really
> new to Samba aren't you?", I can only laugh when thinking about it.

There is nothing wrong with being new to Samba - in fact, there ought to be
more if it. ;-)

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.