[Samba] getent and wbinfo not returning expected results?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Sep 16 19:11:11 GMT 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 12:14, Doug Sampson wrote:
> > I did and this did address the wbinfo -u OR -g output but the getent
> > passwd OR group, is still only listing the local users and groups
>
> <sigh> According to the Samba docs, it's either the NSS switch or the PAM
> modules or both that appear to be preventing the enumeration of
> users/groups. I have on hand TOSHARG and the 'Samba-3 By Examples' books.
> Check page 228 section 12 in 'Samba-3 by Examples' and you will see what I
> am referring to.

If 'wbinfo -u' returns the domain user list, but 'getent passwd' does not,
this means that NSS is not working. It has nothing to do with PAM.

> I'm using FreeBSD and their NSS libraries are different from Linux's and
> I'm wondering if that is the cause. FreeBSD uses nss_winbind.so.1 whereas
> there are numerous references to libnss_winbind.so.2 in TOSHARG which is
> based on Linux. I fear FreeBSD's GCC compiler is either older and/or
> different than Linux's. What distro are you using?

Have you joined the Samba server to the domain?
What do 'net rpc info' and 'net ads info' report?

Is winbindd running?

Did you rename the libnss_winbind.so.2 file to nss_winbind.so.1?
Did you locate this in the /lib or the /usr/lib directory?

What error logs are you seeing in /var/adm/messages?

> > Yes this is sound advice i was playing around with some others like the
> > + , which seems to be a common choice but testparm complained about it
> > so i changed it to what you see.
>
> Yeah. The separator isn't the real cause behind your woes though.

It certainly sounds more like a basic software installation and configuration
issue.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.