[Samba] getent and wbinfo not returning expected results?

Doug Sampson dougs at dawnsign.com
Fri Sep 16 18:14:46 GMT 2005

> I did and this did address the wbinfo -u OR -g output but the getent
> passwd OR group, is still only listing the local users and groups

<sigh> According to the Samba docs, it's either the NSS switch or the PAM
modules or both that appear to be preventing the enumeration of
users/groups. I have on hand TOSHARG and the 'Samba-3 By Examples' books.
Check page 228 section 12 in 'Samba-3 by Examples' and you will see what I
am referring to.

I'm using FreeBSD and their NSS libraries are different from Linux's and I'm
wondering if that is the cause. FreeBSD uses nss_winbind.so.1 whereas there
are numerous references to libnss_winbind.so.2 in TOSHARG which is based on
Linux. I fear FreeBSD's GCC compiler is either older and/or different than
Linux's. What distro are you using?

> Yes this is sound advice i was playing around with some others like the
> + , which seems to be a common choice but testparm complained about it
> so i changed it to what you see.

Yeah. The separator isn't the real cause behind your woes though.

Let me know what you come up with.

~Doug