[Samba] couldn't find service ???

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Sep 9 13:05:07 GMT 2005

Brought back on list so that others may benefit...

> > Do you have a [homes] share specified and a valid home directory for
> > antonyf?
>
> No. Might that be a problem ? I just have two shares, [Profiles] and
> [Netlogon] .

> ----------smb.conf--
> [netlogon]
>    comment = Network Logon Service
>    path = /usr/local/lib/samba/netlogon
>    guest ok = no
>    writable = no
>    share modes = no
>
> # 'Roving Profile' share (in lieu of the user's home directory)
> [Profiles]
>     path = /usr/local/lib/samba/profiles
>     browseable = no
>     guest ok = no
>     writable = yes

> ----------smb.conf--

Most likely it is searching for those missing home directories.  That being
said and without seeing the rest of your smb.conf, you might find another
way around it by making the following 3 values blank; not defaulted, defined
as blank:

logon path =
logon drive =
logon home =