[Samba] not seeing windows XP

Justin Allen tjc1027 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 05:04:40 GMT 2005

I had some similar problems with my samba setup with XP Pro machines. The
fix that I found was to disable the computer browser service on the XP Pro
machines to prevent them from taking over the master browser role from the
samba server and force the samba server to be master browser through the
smb.conf file. Also I made my samba server into a WINS server and pointed
the XP machines to that although I am not sure if this step is required.
More than likely the problem is that you have 2 master browsers on the
network so if you disable the computer browser service on the other 2
machines then that will likely fix the problem.
Hope this helps,

Justin