[Samba] Samba Printing Extremely Slow from Windows XP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 7 23:17:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 17:15 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Mark Dowling wrote:
> | Jerry Carter wrote:
> |
> | "This is an XP client bug.  It has been covered before in the Samba ml
> | archives.  You need to clean out the cached devmodes from the HCU portion
> | of the registry on the client machine."
> |
> | We use this workaround but it's pretty annoying as
> | if you change the  driver or add another printer (the
> | latter happens often) you have to go into the reg
> | and fix it.  Is it known which XPSP2 patch caused
> | this and whether a patch is due to resolve it?
>
> No idea.  I saw a mention of it being "fixed" in SP2.  But
> obviously it's not.  There's a pre-sp2 hotfix I've seen.
> But nothing post SP2.  It could be triggered by certain
> drivers as well.  I've never tried to figure out if there's
> a higher occurence of v2 vs v3 drivers.
----
thanks for mentioning this - my daughter uses my XP system all the time
while I only have been using it as a lab to test networking things,
software things etc. and lately to use iTunes to rip stuff to my new
iPod. She has been complaining about the length of time it takes to get
a print dialog and when I saw this post, I knew it had to be the issue
and apparently it was just the thing.

Thanks

Craig