[Samba] Office (2003) saving excel sheet takes VERY long..

Max Riedel m.riedel at inode.at
Wed Sep 7 17:22:58 GMT 2005

Hi!
Maybe you can help me, would be very nice!
I'm new to the list and I'm very glad that it exists...
A week ago we migrated to samba and since then it's taking very long to
save a 1,8MB excel document. On fast ethernet it takes us about 10
seconds, on wireless lan it can take up to a minute, although
transferring the same amount of data from the very same machine, that is
connected via 802.11g, to samba (by copying a file) takes only about
3-4seconds over the wireless connection.
We use Excel in Office 2003 with SP1. Machine is a WinXP Pro SP2.
It looks as if it was Excel's fault, but it also seems to be much slower
now since the files are stored on the samba server.

Is there any way to enhance Excel's writing or maybe the caching on the
server?Most of the files are smaller than 300kbytes, but this particular
one is ~1,8MB and used VERY frequently.

Samba version is 3.0.20

System's running on an Athlon XP 2.400+, 512MB ram, Redhat Enterprise WS 4

The smb.conf looks like:

[global]

   netbios name = smb

   workgroup = WORKGROUP

   server string = Samba Server

    hosts allow = 192.168.0.

  guest account = guest

 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

   max log size = 500

   security = user

    ;oplocks = no
    ;level2 oplocks = no

  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 IPTOS_LOWDELAY

    ;getwd cache = yes
    ;dead time = 15
    ;read raw = yes
    ;write raw = yes