[Samba] Date Mismatch

Danny Paul jdpaul at gocolumbiamo.com
Tue Sep 6 18:54:51 GMT 2005

I've posted this problems before but have some new information.

Suse 9.1, kernel 2.6.5-7.111-smp, reiserfs, SAMBA 3.0.9 (just upgraded to
3.0.20 today), OpenLDAP backend, as a PDC.

I've had a series of files get created in user profiles with a mtime of Dec
13, 1901 14:45. 'stat -c %Y' reports -2147483648. When a user attempts to
delete these files from their profile and then log out, the file does not
get deleted from the server copy of the profile. I figured out that this
was because SAMBA represents this date to Windows as Jan 2038 so it thinks
the server copy has a newer file in it.

I suspected this was a Windows problem, but it appears in every version of
Windows, not just XP. If I touch the file and give it any other date, Say
Dec 14, 1901 14:45, Windows correctly displays that date.

This is not a filesystem problem, fscheck is clean as a whistle, this must
be a SAMBA issue. I suspect that whatever problem causes the
misrepresentation in date is also what causes the date to be wrong in the
first place.

Any help?

Thanks