[Samba] Samba Over A Wan

David Miller david3d at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 18:45:05 GMT 2005

I'm currently using OpenVPN to allow access to Samba over WAN. Works pretty
good but my experience has been that browsing shares and directory
structures over the WAN can be somewhat frustrating to users. I believe this
is b/c windows file sharing is a pretty heavy protocal and our WAN
connection is only 768bps up and down. You'll also want to be using WINS for
name resolution unless you're bridging your OpenVPN subnet with your local
subnet which I would avoid doing if possible.

David