[Samba] Roaming and local profiles EXTRANGE problem!!

John T Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Mon Oct 31 23:02:32 GMT 2005

I am no expert (so other please chime in with corrections
if I mis-state anything!)...

One point: when your user logs on, the roaming profile
"becomes" the local profile (that is, it is copied down to
the local computer). When the user logs off, it is copied
back onto the server.

Here are some things to check:
- Are the users logging out of station "A" before logging
into station "B"?  This - I have read - can cause
problems.
- Are you sure that they are getting the roaming profile,
and not simply logging onto the machine using cached
credentials?  (There is a registry hack that disallows
(turns off) the ability to log on using cached
credentials.  Basically, if the server is unavailable to
authenticate your users, they will be unable to log on.
 Maybe not a setting you WANT to turn on, but it might be
handy for testing & troubleshooting purposes).

I would think one of these two things are happening to
cause the problems as you describe them. (But thats just
my opinion!)...

- jb